Meatless Monday week 2
Santa Fe Pizza (adapted from Bon Appetit’s fast, easy, fresh cookbook)
- 1 fully baked thin whole wheat pizza crust (we love the ones from Whole Foods)
- 1-2 c grated sharp cheddar cheese (we use Trader Joe’s shredded soy cheese)
- 2 c “chicken” strips,* cut into cubes and browned lightly in a T of olive oil (it will continue to cook in oven)
- ½ t ground cumin
- ½ c thinly sliced red onion
- Small can of no-salt-added corn
- 1-2 T chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and coarsely chopped (jarred works great)
- Salsa of your choice
*Our favorites are Morningstar Farms and Gardein—any that sound good to you will do!
Preheat oven to 425. Place crust on baking sheet. Sprinkle about half the cheese, chicken cubes, and cumin over crust, leaving a 3/4-inch border. Top liberally with onion, corn, cilantro, remaining cheese, and jalapenos. Bake pizza until crust is crisp and toppings are heated through, about 10-12 minutes. (We like to broil the pizza for 1 minute at this point to melt the soy cheese and brown the crust a tiny bit more.) Top with dollops of Tofutti sour cream, salsa, and avocado when it’s in season!
This is the basic recipe, but feel free to add toppings you think sound good—I’d love to hear what you come up with!