A little something to help you with your meatless meals.
Lentil Burritos (adapted from a recipe in Southern Living)
- 1 cup dried lentils (OR make things MUCH easier by getting the pre-cooked lentils from Trader Joe’s in the produce section. Voilà! Half the work is already done!)
- 4 cups water (if using dried lentils)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 T olive or vegetable oil
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese (or Veggie Shreds or other vegetarian/vegan cheese)
- Package of 7-inch tortillas
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce (with roasted garlic if you like)
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 T green taco sauce (no big deal to leave out)
- 1 t cornstarch
- 1 c vegetable broth (if using TJ’s lentils)
- Avocado slices, sour cream for topping
If using dried lentils, simmer in the water over medium heat 20 minutes or until tender; drain, reserving 1 cup liquid. If using Trader Joe’s lentils, cut open the package!
Saute´ onion and bell pepper in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in lentils and cheese. Spoon mixture evenly down center of each tortilla and roll up. Place tortillas in a 13×9-inch baking dish.
Bring ¾ cup reserved liquid (or veggie broth), tomato sauce, cumin, and taco sauce to a boil in a saucepan. Stir together remaining ¼ cup reserved liquid (or veggie broth) and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into sauce mixture, and cook over medium heat, stirring often, 10 minutes. Pour over burritos.
Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with desired toppings (we love sliced avocado!).