Pop a couple of these to get you through an afternoon slump. They’re good for you!
Fantastic Fruit Delights (aka Energy Bites!)
They’re raw, easy to make, and nutritious, and they’re known as “energy bites” in my home. Instead of buying a bunch of Power Bars, I make a batch of these. Just a couple fill my belly when it’s not quite mealtime, and they’ll last forever in the fridge.
What you’ll need:
1 c dried apricots
1 c dried figs
1 c dried dates
1 c raisins
3/4 c unsweetened coconut
3/4 c almond butter
1/2 c raw honey or maple syrup
1. Pit the dates and soak them in water for about 20 minutes. The moisture this will add to the recipe helps everything gel later.
2. Place each fruit in your food processor individually and process into small pieces. Pour into a bowl.
3. Process coconut, almond butter and honey or syrup until well blended.
4. At this point, I add the processed fruits back into the mixer and process in pulses–it will ball up and mix sluggishly, but I find it does the trick. You can also add the almond butter mixture to your bowl of fruits and mix by hand–but I haven’t tried it that way.
5. Moisten your hands and roll the mixture into bite-size balls. Put them on a cookie sheet and place them in the refrigerator to chill. After a few hours, you can put them in a storage container and leave them in the fridge until you’re ready to eat them!
Just a few per serving, please. Don’t get carried away!
Original recipe from www.hacres.com.